Wednesday, January 4, 2012

KING PRAWN LAKSA

If you're Australian, you'll know laksas well. If you're Singaporean or Malaysian, you'll know them even better. I had my first laksa at the original Malaya restaurant on Sydney's George Street in 1973. At the same meal, I also had my first kapitan prawns, kway teow and sing chow chow mai. I don't know how many laksas I have had since then. I do know that when Peter Tan opened the Singapura in North Sydney, I was there for three of the first 4 services. Even if you know laksas well, you mightn't know that the long leaf shown here is laksa leaf - which is also called Vietnamese mint. It grows in the garden, which is handy, because it's one of those herbs that you don't need often and you don't need a lot of and when you do need it, you can never find it in stores. King prawns aren;t called king prawns because they're big or somehow regal. It's simply the name of this variety of prawn. Best thing to drink with a laksa? Beer.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment