Saturday, January 8, 2011

ONE OF THE QUINTESSENTIAL HERBS OF THE MEXICAN KITCHEN

Epazote is one of the essential wild herbs of Mexican cuisine. I had never seen it in Australia until I discovered that a barefoot nurseryman in a mud house at Mudgeeraba was growing some. I planted some in pots and it now grows like a weed, popping up between pavers where seeds have fallen. I have saved seeds from past season and will do the same this year because I have an open order for 40-50 kilos of dried epazote leaves from a distributor - and anyone who knows epazote knows that 40-50 kilos of dried leaves is a MIGHTY LARGE amount of plants. I have test-dried some leaves and placed them in take-away food containers. The container weighs more than the contents. I reckon I have 10,000 seeds so far - and think I will need as many again to get this kind of crop. There is also the small problem of land on which to grow this crop. I somehow do not think they will fit on our 750 sq m plot of land. I might have to talk to Alan and Louise who have 300,000 acres in central Queensland. That is a problem for 2012.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment