Wednesday, February 9, 2011

POACHED BLUE EYE WITH MUSHROOMS AND ASPARAGUS

When I was visiting the fishmonger this afternoon, there was a tray of really bright fillets without a label. Shane, the fishmonger, came out from the back of the shop and told me about the fish that caught my attention. It was blue eye. Trevalla. He had bought it this morning at the Brisbane markets. It was caught by some friends of his last night. They were taking their trawler north to Darwin to fish for gold band snapper, but decided to fish for blue eye just off the coast here as they travelled north. Shane was in the process of filleting the fish when I arrived. I bought a couple of fillets as well as a whole fish frame. This afternoon I made some stock, using the frame, young ginger and white peppercorns. I strained some stock into a sautée pan and poached asparagus, shimeji and enoki mushrooms and the blue eye fillets. After plating up, I spooned over a reduction of grape seed oil, light soy sauce, sambal oelek, sugar and rice vinegar. Delicious. Healthy.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment