Sunday, April 10, 2011

OMELETTE OF JAPANESE MUSHROOMS

I've never bowed so much. I guess it's a result of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, but there are a whole lot more Japanese at the weekly markets. Some are simply collecting for relief efforts. But there were Japanese performers last week and there have been some young and enthusiastic and oh so polite Japanese guys these past two weeks who are selling various Asian mushrooms - mostly Japanese. Shiitake, enoki, shimeji, oyster, king. Anyway, these lovely lads bowed as I approached their stand. And I bowed back. Then the one who served me bowed when I asked for some shiitakes. And I returned the favour. Then he bowed again when I bought the shimeji. Naturally, I bowed right back. He bowed again when I asked for some enoki. I bowed once more. When I said that was all, he bowed again, and I bowed in return, simultaneously handing over some money. Which he accepted with a bow. I accepted his change with a bow. I said goodbye. He bowed. I bowed. A young couple passing the mushroom stall bowed. An elderly woman bowed. Or maybe she had a hunched back. I wasn't sure. I bowed a few more times and reversed away from their stall. I was afraid that if I turned my back, they'd bow once more and I'd miss it.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment