Monday, June 11, 2012

SMOKED HAM HOCK, CAVOLO NERO AND MASH

I don't know what constitutes normal weather where you live, but where we are, the climate is called sub-tropical. If those words suggest warmth, then what I'm about to tell you might come as a bit of a rude shock. I went out at 4pm and the temperature up here on the hill was 12.5C. We've been here seven years and it has NEVER been that cold during the day. I recall a 16C day once or twice, but not this. Nothing to do but cook something appropriate. I happened to have a smoked ham hock in the fridge, so I poached this until tender and pulled the flesh apart. I made a mash with sebago potatoes and lots of butter. And I sweated cavolo nero in oil with garlic. Perfect food for a chilly night.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment