Friday, September 23, 2011

PUMPKIN RISOTTO

If I had a dollar for every risotto I've cooked I'd be quite wealthy. Not Donald Trump wealthy, but comfortable. I cooked my first in 1982, after tasting my first risotto in Mantova. I have lost track of the different risottos I have cooked ... no, I'll have a go at remembering them. Milanese, squid ink, porcini, fennel, radicchio, champagne, primavera, crab, risi e bisi, prawn, asparagus, pumpkin, beetroot, sherry, gorgonzola, scallop ... there are more, but I can't recall them right now. I have done pumpkin man times. This was the best. Why? A richer chicken stock, deeper flavoured pumpkin, a good dose of Noilly Prat, a pinch of nutmeg, another pinch of Spanish saffron strands ... I think each element contributed to the end result. Oh, and good Carnaroli rice and 3 year old parmigiano reggiano.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment