Saturday, December 11, 2010

2003 CASA FRESCHI LA SIGNORA

I had a delightful dinner with winemakers David Freschi and Tom Adams in Adelaide a couple of years ago. Apart from both being great human beings, they are both terrifically talented winemakers. I have had several bottles of wines produced by each of them over the years. This 2003 La Signora is an interesting blend of nebbiolo, cabernet sauvignon, shiraz and malbec. I am not sure if it is his Italian heritage, but David has produced an Australian wine that has a lot of what I admire in the best Italian (and French, for that matter) reds - a savoury character that works in perfect harmony with food. Whilst I admire the rich fruitiness of some iconic Australia shirazes, I reckon they shine in wine shows, but not at the table. It is like trying to eat a steak and a bowl of Christmas pudding simultaneously. I am not sure what is the current vintage of this wine. If you can find some, buy some.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment