Wednesday, December 1, 2010

CLASSIC ROAST CHICKEN WITH ROAST VEGETABLES

I based this on a recipe from the great Stephanie Alexander. The one thing I did differently was to brine the chicken before cooking it. Have you ever brined meat? Try it. I soaked the whole chicken in a bath of very salty water for a couple of hours. I then drained it thoroughly and wiped it dry inside and out before rubbing it with lemon and stuffing it with 3 cloves of crushed garlic, two halves of lemon, a sprig of rosemary and salt. The brining helps the skin crisp and keeps the flesh moist. The bird cooked for 60 minutes  - 20 on each side and 20 breast up. I added parsnips, zucchini and flat beans (all tossed in olive oil and garlic) for the last 20 minutes.
The Cook's Companion: The Complete Book of Ingredients and Recipes for the Australian Kitchen
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment