Tuesday, December 7, 2010

DRY AGED RIB OF BEEF WITH CARAMELISED ONION

I am a simple man. Not ignorant. Just simple. Uncomplicated. I get pleasure from simple things. Like a simply grilled slab of beef. If it is of good quality. One of the sacrifices I have made lately is to cook meals devoid of meat in order to help Sharon reduce the acidity of her body. No beef, no lamb. I have occasionally been able to do pork. And chicken has put in frequent appearances. But it has mostly been a diet of fish. And vegetables. Or vegetables and fish. Sometimes just vegetables. Fish is great. But it is not meat. Tonight I made up for weeks of sacrifice with this rib of fine grass-fed beef from up near Gympie. It has been dry-aged for about 5 weeks by our butcher. The benefit of dry-aging is that the flavour intensifies and the meat becomes softer and less fibrous. It might be another 3 or 4 months before my next beef hit. I  will have to live on the memory of this meal until then.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment