Sunday, May 1, 2011

OCEAN TROUT WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES AND GARLIC JAM

I was in Brisbane yesterday morning, where I bought this gorgeous ocean trout at James Street Market. Two fat fillets with the skin on. These were seared in a very hot pan so the skin puffed up and crisped, but the flesh stayed basically raw, but warm. Some great pumpkin from our neighbours and beans from the local markets. I made this garlic jam with onions, a few spices and sugar. Fantastic condiment and a perfect foil for the fish. Talking of foil, I once studied fencing. I remember the fencing tutor suggested buying white cotton gloves. He suggested the inners that motorcyclists wear under their leather gloves. I found a bike shop and asked for a pair of inners. Something about my manner or appearance must have told the proprietor that I'm not a bike rider. He asked what I wanted the gloves for. I told him for fencing. He didn't seem surprised. He said he often got customers who wanted them for fencing - and bricklaying and concreting. I didn't have the courage to tell him that wasn't the kind of fencing I was doing.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment