Sunday, June 19, 2011

HERBED BLUE EYE WITH SILVERBEET AND PURPLE CONGO MASH

If asked to nominate my favourite food colour, it would be black. There isn't enough black food, but what there is looks spectacular. Squid ink makes a brilliant risotto and a pretty good pasta. Black truffle is pure eroticism. Even the humble black pudding can be sublime - as anyone who has tried the Bistro Moncur version with caramelised apple will know. Another rare food colour is purple. About the best example of purple food is the purple Congo potato. It has to be boiled in its skin, otherwise the colour will bleed. Once cooked and drained, you can then mash it with good butter (such as Lurpak). I used a mix of butter and quark, a creamy rich cheese similar to cottage cheese. Silverbeet is in season here and I rinsed, dried and then gently sautéed torn leaves in olive oil with a little garlic. The slow cooking ensured that the leaves remained bright green and there was none of the wateriness that you can get with carelessly cooked silverbeet. The blue eye was caught last night about 60 kms off the coast by a fishing boat that operates out of Southport. Our local fishmonger is a mate of the fisherman and returned with these fish a couple of hours before I bought this fish. I was about to write that the only way it would be fresher would be if I caught it myself - but that would be a lie. For starters, I don't own a fishing boat, and a boat is a fairly handy gadget if you want to go fishing 60 kms off the coast. So I'll leave it up to others to catch my fish for me.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment