Friday, August 20, 2010

FOODS THAT FIGHT CANCER, ALZHEIMER'S AND AGEING

The Pharmanex biophotonic Scanner
I mentioned on my Facebook page that I had my carotenoid (antioxidant) level checked on this nifty biophotonic scanner made by Pharmanex. The machine takes about five minutes and uses a low energy laser to determine carotenoid levels by scanning the palm of your hand. I was shocked how low my levels were. I immediately went in search of all the things that are champions at boosting carotenoid levels and fighting the free radicals that cause ageing, memory loss and cancer.

Here is a list of foods rich in natural antioxidants -

1   Dried beans - for centuries these have been the primary protein source of Indians in central America. Pinto beans, black beans, red kidney beans, cannellini beans ... all brilliant. As well as antioxidants, they are also packed with iron, potassium, thiamin and phosphorus

2   Berries - strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, blackberries

3   Apples - dear old Granny Smith and her relatives

4   Artichokes - much loved in Spain, related to the thistle (much loved in Scotland - but not eaten)

5   Sweet potato - another staple of the Amerindians

6   Broccoli, spinach, kale, cavolo nero - eat your greens, children

7   Almonds

8   Salmon - it is that omega-3 oil that does all the good

9   Green tea - a Japanese study showed that 2 cups a day reduced cognitive impairment by 50%

10 Plums

Caretnoids are great antioxidants. As you might guess, carrots are high in these. So too other orange or red vegetables. I will boost my intake of all of the foods listed here and report back on the improvement in my carotenoid levels.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment