Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FLATHEAD WITH CANNELLINI, ASPARAGUS & LIME MAYONNAISE

When I was a kid, my parents would pack my brother and sister and me into the car every May school holidays and we would travel to Port Macquarie in the New South Wales north coast. Nowadays the trip from Sydney takes about 4 hours. Back then it was more like 7. The highway was single lane and there were always trucks lumbering up every hill - and there were plenty of them. Still, it was worth it for the two weeks spent fishing on the Hastings River or playing on one of the surf beaches. We mostly stayed in a cabin right beside the Hibberd Ferry. We used to rent an open clinker-built putt-putt. The engine was a cast iron thing with a fly wheel. The boats were called putt-putts because that is the sound the engines made. We would often fish up Limeburners Creek, a tributary of the Hastings. I used to enjoy being up the creek. As we fished on the creek there was no noise other than the gentle slapping of water against the wooden hull and the occasional bellow from a cow in a pasture by the creek. The fish we caught most frequently were bream and flathead.  Our fishmonger had some nice fillets obviously cut from some pretty big fish. With the local asparagus season in full swing, it seemed like a perfect combination, along with cannellini and a little mayonnaise and lemon juice.
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so jealous for your Zappa live experience...SO JEALOUS!
    :-)
    What I absolutely love about him is that he was one of the most intelligent people in this world and was able to explain the world's problems in only one sentence...Stink-Foot is one of my favs.
    It's a pity but I'm working much too much the last weeks so I have absolutely no time to cook...I hope there will come better times soon...my nutrition is horrible, it's almost a miracle that I look halfway healthy in that picture *LOL*. But I eat three apples a day and drink tomato juice. I think that helps maybe a bit :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe, we are on an alkaline kick right now. Lots of juices - beetroot, celery, beans, carrot, ginger - and lots of salads. Feeling pretty good. You do look pretty good in the pic you posted, so your body must be coping with your nutrition. Writing about Zappa has inspired me to pull out some vinyl tomorrow. Maybe One Size Fits All, probably my favourite Zappa album :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story that goes with this recipe. And the flavour combinations sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you have read the Tim Winton book, Breath, you get a bit of the feeling for growing up here in the sixties. I sometimes think about writing a book that draws on memories of a time long gone. Thanks for writing. I have to say, I am pretty envious of your life, judging from the shots you post. It looks like you have a very productive garden. Some good tips on music, too. G

    ReplyDelete