Thursday, October 7, 2010

REEF COD WITH SMOKED CAPSICUM ESCABECHE AND BLACK BEANS

What is a food lover with a conscience to do? We are told to eat less beef because beef production accounts for a disproportionate amount of greenhouse gases. We are told to eat fish because it is good for us. But we are told that the ocean is being raped and fish stocks depleted. Do we go vegan? Some do. But I cannot. I love vegetables and will often eat a meal without flesh. But I do like a great piece of beef, a great roasted chicken, a fresh fish. So, reef cod ... enjoy it while you can. Not a strong-flavoured fish. Nice big flakes. I crumbed it in panko and cooked it in ghee. The capsicums were lightly smoked then gently cooked in a little corn oil with white balsamic and sugar. Some shredded epazote from the garden. If you are not from Mexico, you might not be familiar with epazote. According to your attitude, it is a herb - or an edible weed. It certainly grows profusely here. I found some at a local nursery and planted it in pots. Now in its fourth season, it pops up amongst the gravel between pavers and I have harvested thousands of seeds from last season which I will plant when I have enough land to grow a commercial crop. A wholesaler in Sydney will buy 50 kilos of dried leaves if I can supply them - and if you know epazote, you would know that 50 kilos of dried leaves means planting tens of thousands of plants.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment