Friday, October 22, 2010

POLLO ADOBADO CON AGUACATE

Pollo adobado sounds better than marinated chicken. But that is what it is. This particular adobo is a mix of ancho chillies, cumin, oregano, garlic and coconut vinegar - plus some other goodies. Works a treat on chicken. Pork too. And some fish. A nice chook from Alstonville, about an hour away to the south-west of here. Not as good as the chickens in Mexico, but about as good as they get here in Oz. I am not sure what it is that makes Mexican chickens taste so good - actually, I do know. Lots of corn in their diets. Plus marigold flowers if they are egg layers. The first time I bought a chicken at the markets in Prado Norte in Mexico City, I had expectations of something good. They birds looked incredibly fresh. The taste was something I had forgotten - a richness that chicken so rarely possesses. And an unidentifiable flavour that I immediately recognised from my childhood - the way chickens tasted back in the 50s and 60s when a roast chook was something special. Pre KFC. Pre take-away BBQ chicken. So, until I return to Mexico, this will have to do.
Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Heh Greg. Found you via 'Joe's blog' and as I am a huge fan of mexican food .. along with your catchy 'frittata is a frittata is a frittata' comment .. I just had to become a follower. Look forward to remembering to come back and see your other foody suggestions (-:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, once again I've dropped by before eating and am now thinking, 'how in the world will i get to australia?'

    Of course, it is 8:05 in the morning, so perhaps I can get there by breakfast tomorrow? :-)

    Had never heard the word "chook" before...

    And thank you for your kind comment on my blog. "Disciplined" is not a word I've ever heard used to describe me, but I guess I am. That realization has made me very happy, and I owe that to you.

    :-) Hope your weekend is tasty.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I am glad you stopped by. We lived in Mexico City for two years- hence the Mexican food thing.

    Pearl, discipline is good - as long as it is balanced by a good measure of uncontrollable abandon. This is my definition of balance - every to excess.

    Enjoy your weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. EveryTHING to excess. Fingers not working. Or maybe brain. Another coffee? I think so

    ReplyDelete