Saturday, October 23, 2010

WHY I LIKE FARMERS MARKETS

Things I saw this morning at the weekly markets - tables groaning under the weight of local avocados (Sharwills are coming to the end of their season and the Hasses are now being picked), black zapotes, fat organic asparagus, big bunches of beetroot, kale and cavolo nero, kilos of the sweetest strawberries (what an amazing season it has been this year), fish (I bought a kingfish caught just off the coast yesterday), deep red tomatoes, huge orange-yolked eggs from the Tweed Valley, local pecans and macadamias, bunches of rocket, parsley, spinach, coriander, watercress and lettuces picked yesterday - and these organic eggplants. This one is about 25cms/10 inches in diameter. Not sure what I will do with it yet. Maybe stuff it. Maybe smoke it and make baba ganoush. Maybe slice it, rub it with garlic and grill it. I never get this excited after a trip down the supermarket aisle.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment