Tuesday, August 16, 2011

GARFISH WITH BRAISED ARTICHOKES

When I was a young sprog, we'd go to Port Macquarie on the New South Wales north coast for most May school holidays. And most days we'd go fish on the Hastings River.  We'd usually fish for flathead or bream. occasionally we'd fish for whiting and once or twice for garfish, which we'd often see in the shallows of the river near Hibberd ferry. You need to catch a lot of garfish to make a meal for 5. They are skinny little buggers. I have no idea if that spear on their snout serves any purpose. I bet there have been some accidents at times with careless garfish impaling a submerged object and getting stuck fast. I was reminded of those holidays when I saw garfish in the local fishmonger's. I bought these artichokes from the greengrocer next door to the fishmonger and braised them in chicken stock, lemon juice, white wine and garlic.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment