Sunday, August 28, 2011

LAMB SHANK WITH ROSEMARY GREMOLATA AND MASH

We don't get much of a winter round these parts. Not by Canadian standards. Not by Russian standards. Okay, it gets down to 5C or 10C on a winter's night, but it soon climbs to 21C. Still, those nights are cool enough for all those warming slow-cooked dishes like stews, braised oxtail, beef cheeks and lamb shanks. I haven't cooked shanks this winter and since we're about to enter spring, i thought I'd better get a move on. I keep a container of shank stock in the freezer and top it up (with red wine, star anise, orange skin, bay leaf and garlic) each time I cook the dish, so the base stock just keeps getting richer. I made a gremolata of rosemary, mandarin (or mandarine if you prefer) zest and garlic, which was stirred through the sauce just before serving.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment