Sunday, January 1, 2012

RISTRETTO

It's 3pm January 1, 2012. The year is 15 hours old. I didn't make any resolutions - but if I had, it would have been to take time to really enjoy life's simple pleasures. And here's what I have enjoyed so far today -
Waking up - the value of waking can't be over-estimated.
The unconditional love of a dog - and in this case it's not even our dog, but our neighbours'. He just happens to regard our home as part of his turf.
A walk by the beach - something we try to do several times a week, along Kirra, Greenmount, Snapper Rocks, Duranbar and the Tweed River.
Nature - like the poincianas covered in vermilion flowers, the rainbow lorikeets hanging like fruit from the grevillea, the water dragons sunning on the rocks, the cackles and chortles of friar birds, the smell of the sea ... and more.
Fresh fruit - like the mango we shared a while ago. Along with peaches, mangoes remind me of what's so special about summer.
Ristretto - coffee at its purest. In the book and film of Perfume, Jean Baptiste Grenouille spent a good part of his (misguided) career trying to distill the pure essence of all that he found (which included virgins - hence the 'misguided'). If he were to distill the essence of coffee, he would start with a ristretto.
If these were all the simple pleasures I experienced today, I'd be happy - but as I wrote, it's only 3pm and I have a feeling there are some more waiting to be (re)discovered in the hours ahead.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment