Thursday, November 11, 2010

EDIBLE ART

Quay: Food Inspired by NatureI sent my parents to Quay for their 60th wedding anniversary. They had a great night, remarking on the extraordinary food and the wonderful attention of the staff. I bought this book yesterday and I spent some time today flipping through its pages. What struck me is how Peter Gilmore has remained faithful to the ingredients and created plates of food that look like perfect expressions of nature - and yet there is artistry evident here that nature could not match. Each component of each dish is perfection in itself. And each of these perfect ingredients is assembled into sublime works of culinary art that I can study for minutes at a time. If you can get to Sydney and can get a table at the restaurant, go. If not, buy this book and dream. This is now the 3rd cookbook bought this year that has had a profound effect on me. The others are The Fat Duck Cookbook and NOMA. Can food get any better?
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment