Wednesday, March 23, 2011

CURED SALMON WITH AVOCADO

I'm all for balance in life. No safe, grey, middle of the road stuff for me though. I have my own way of achieving balance. I counter one extreme with another. After the meaty onslaught of last night, the purity and lightness of tonight.

Here is a recipe for a great curing mix for salmon or ocean trout.

1 TEASPOON CORIANDER SEEDS
1 TEASPOON WHITE PEPPERCORNS
1 TEASPOON FENNEL SEEDS
GRATED ZEST OF 1 LEMON
100 GMS SUGAR
100 GMS COARSE SALT

Dry roast the seeds until aromatic. When cool, mix with the other ingredients in a non reactive dish (ceramic, for example) just big enough to hold the fish in a single layer. I used two tail sections of salmon, about 200 gms each. Place the fillets on the mix and spoon some mix over the top so the fillets are evenly covered. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 12 hours. Scrape off seeds and wipe off the salty oils that will have accumulated. Slice finely and serve.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment