Wednesday, March 23, 2011

DRY AGED RIB OF BEEF

Our local butcher, Paul, from Jack Sprats, sources most of his beef from two properties, one near Gympie, a few hours north of here, and the other in the Tweed Valley over the hill. Both are good. Paul makes their meat better by dry ageing it. Not all butchers dry age their beef. Mostly I guess because it is expensive. The beef dehydrates and loses weight. Additionally the outside of the beef needs to be cut off. The result is much better meat - but also more expensive - and a lot of people are programmed to buy as cheaply as possible. I'm sorry, but I'd rather go without than attempt to eat $7.99 a kilo rump that one butcher confessed he "would only feed to my dog". So this has been my carnivorous indulgence for the week. And how I loved it.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment