Wednesday, May 19, 2010

PUMPKIN & SAFFRON RISOTTO

I think I made my first risotto in 1982 after tasting my first risotto in a restaurant in Mantova a few months earlier. I don't know how many variations on a risotto them I've made since then. It's a lot. Favourites are crab, fennel and beetroot (which I first tasted in an Italian restaurant in LA). Our wonderful neighbours brought in a huge Japanese pumpkin yesterday with the weekly bag of lady finger bananas and passionfruit from their farm. I had some quail stock in the freezer, so these were combined with some saffron strands and other goodies to make this risotto. A sprinkling of fetta over the top to add a bit of tang.
Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. At the end of 1982 you recommended a restaurant to me in Bologna which a year later got a Michelin Star . Had Risotto there ;Fennel .
    Went there by myself for lunch from Florence and it was very very cold . Sue T refused to wake up early to go there by train.
    Risotto is our idea of comfort food.
    Rosie says hello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Bologna. Funny how we call spaghetti with meat sauce spaghetti bolognese when the Bolognese themselves don't call it that. Not so weird now that I think about it. The French don't order French fries. A good town for eating. Nice markets. Not so keen on the ugliness of industry that surrounds the old town. I think that restaurant came (as did so many others I've really enjoyed in Italy) from a guide book called I Ristoranti di Veronelli (still being published, I see). Like Michelin - but a MUCH more useful guide to good food in Italy than the French can manage.

    ReplyDelete