Sunday, May 16, 2010

STEAMED CHICKEN & FRIED PORK SKIN SALAD

Mandolins. When I was in primary school the Deputy Principal's name was Mr Morris. We called him Moose. Moose played mandolin. Intensely. He often broke strings. I thought of him when I was thinking about the other kind of mandolin - the one that slices fingers. And food. It does a brilliant job on both. Of course you can slice stuff with a knife. I have sliced my fingers often with knives. I even managed to cut the tendon on the back of my thumb with a knife. Knives are fine for cutting fingers but you can't get vegetables as consistently fine as you can with a mandolin. The reason we slice fingers on mandolins is that we invariably choose to hold whatever we're slicing by hand, rather than using the grip provided. And then we always try to cut one more slice than we can safely cut. I marinated the chicken in a little lime juice, fish sauce, sesame oil and dissolved sugar before steaming.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment