Saturday, April 21, 2012

BEEF CHEEK, CELERIAC MASH AND ROASTED CHOKOS

I don't know about you, but chokos have always been one of those 'please explain' vegetables. I never got them. They are watery and flavourless on their own and need the help of masses of butter and salt and pepper or a sauce to make them remotely interesting. The fact that they grow as weeds over fences and sheds didn't add to my appreciation. (When living in Sydney, I remember some growing untended in a park near the Dawn Fraser Pool in Birchgrove.) Our neighbours keep us in bananas from their plantation, as well as pumpkins and passionfruit. Lately they have been giving us chokos. I recall when we were living in Mexico that the locals eat chokos and so I thought I'd see if I could make something tasty out of this bland vegetable. Well I found a recipe that is as much Italian as Mexican. The chokos are marinated in olive oil, garlic and oregano, then roasted at 180C - one hour covered, 15 minutes uncovered. The end result just about changed my opinion on chokos. I still wouldn't pay for them in fruit shops, but when someone picks some off a wild vine, I now know what to do with them.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment