Monday, May 21, 2012

BAR COD WITH RED CURRY REDUCTION

The first time I had bar cod was 20 years ago. Sydney chefs Neil Perry, Tony Bilson, Chris Manfield and Steve Manfredi were a team in a professional chef challenge organised by Seppelt, an old Australian wine company. Steve had asked me to come along and taste the chefs' trial run. Neil steamed bar cod wrapped in lettuce with a really fine sauce based on fermented soya beans. Bar cod isn't a species you see very often, so when I saw this at our local fishmonger, I grabbed a couple of fillets. I simply salted  and sautéed them in a little grapeseed oil. The sauce is exactly what it sounds like - a mix of home made Thai red curry paste, a little chilli paste and half a cup of coconut cream, reduced by about a quarter. A squeeze of lime juice. A watercress salad dressed with macadamia oil, a few drops of sesame oil and coconut vinegar.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment